Saturday, October 9, 2010

Have to change my wardrobe

Hello everyone:

It had some to my attention that there are some things that I need to change when I go to my yoga classes at Field of Yoga here in Cedar Falls. Mary McInnis Meyer, owner and lead teacher, told me four or five things that I need to either change or keep mindful of because she had been losing a few clients probably because of my actions. Some have to do with my personality (keep my voice at a low level; don't be curt with new students when they forget to take off their shoes when they enter the practice area; try not to help other students in poses, because that's what Mary, Carissa, Maggie and Katie are there for; and be aware that the yoga studio is more like a living thing than just a room), but one has to do with what I've been wearing.

You see, I am one who likes to wear form-fitting exercise wear, preferably unitards or wrestling-style singlets, when I either do yoga, work out at the gym or go on my rollerblades. During Mary's call yesterday afternoon (on her way up to Minneapolis to visit an ashtanga yoga studio there), she told me some of the students (mainly older women) were unfomfortable seeing the spandex stretch over my butt when I bend.

Anyway, I'm going to have to go with more yoga-specific clothing, starting with the Yoga Path class I attended this morning. I do have a few pair of bike shorts and running tights, but I'm wondering what else is out there that is more appropriate for yoga for men. I wear a 34 waist right now (about a men's medium, though once I lose a few more pounds, I'd be able to take a small) and have a 32 inseam and wear a large shirt, which might actually can go down to medium.

I looked at lululemon athletica's website, as I'm connected with them on Facebook, and saw they have leggings for men, but at $88 EACH! That's way too much! Mary's going to be sending me some links to some stores that would include some men's yoga wear.

But here's the thing, I don't want to get baggy clothing just because it's labeled as "yoga wear." I hate baggy stuff when I'm working out. My unitards are perfect for me because they move with me, wick the sweat away from my body, and I don't have to worry about cuffs catching or moving up my legs or being constricted by a waistband. However, I need to be mindful of everyone else, Mary suggested.

Anyone out there know of good yoga wear stores or brands that are form fitting (ideally having some amount of Lycra or spandex, whether based on cotton or spandex) that don't cost a lot of money? Send me an e-mail or leave a comment with some suggestions. That would be much appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh, bummer!

    I got the strong impression from: “the students (mainly older women) were uncomfortable seeing the spandex stretch over my butt when I bend” that they would rather not see you in something form fitting.

    When Mary sends you the links ask her to suggest three or four items in the styles she thinks would be appropriate for you to wear in a class with these ladies.

    Have you thought of (would it be possible to) wear(ing) a pair of baggie shorts over your Lycra unitard? In theory the baggies would slide over the Lycra and not bind…

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Mary just sent me one link, from vickerey.com, and as I feared, it's mostly baggy clothes. She did suggest that I do wear looser shorts over my unitards, but also said that if I had bike shorts or tights and a shirt, it wouldn't be much of a problem. And I think another problem was the designs and colors of the stuff I wear, being a bit loud.

    ReplyDelete